Niulakita Island with an estimated population of 85 is a solitary coral island less than a mile long. A century ago workers excavated guano (accumulated droppings left by seabirds) for use as fertilizer. Later an Australian company used the island as a coconut plantation, and in 1944 the British government bought the island and gave it to overpopulated Niutao, which relocated a few families there.
Niulakita Island is 270 kilometres south of the capital Funafuti.
(For further information about Niulakita, please click on Myths and Legends and Tuvaluan Genealogy on the Menu to the left).
Click on the link above for a detailed map